La Sapienza - Università di Roma

logo de La Sapienza per la stampa


EU Citizens

If you are a European Union (EU)/ European Economic Area (EEA) or Swiss citizen, you are allowed to travel to Italy without any formalities. A valid ID or passport is required. 

Non-EU Citizens

If you are a non-EU/EEA citizen, you need to apply for a visa (commonly referred to in official literature as “entry clearance”) before you leave the country where you live to travel to Italy. You can apply at the Italian Embassy or Consulate nearest to you.   

You can apply for three types of Visa depending on your personal situation:

  • Uniform Schengen Visa (USV): Visa valid for access, transit or brief stay (up to 90 days) in Italy and in other countries that have subscribed the Schengen Convention. The USV issued by diplomatic-consular missions of other countries that apply the Schengen Convention, grants entry in Italy. 
  • National Visa (NV): A long-term entry visa (for more than 90 days) which grants access for long-term sojourn. It allows the free circulation in the territory of other Member States for a period of no more than 90 days per semester.
  • Visa for scientific research purposes: Researchers coming from third countries, selected by either private or public research institutions acknowledged in the official list published by the Ministry for University and Research are entitled to apply for this kind of long term entry visa (more than 90 days) . The researcher can obtain the visa only within the framework of an Hosting Agreement with one of these official research entities.

Please visit the following website to find out whether you need a visa to enter Italy:

Do you need a visa?

​For further information or assistance with requests for a visa for scientific research purposes at Sapienza, please contact Giuditta Carabella or Emanuele Gennuso.




  • Palazzo del Rettorato - CU001

    Piazzale Aldo Moro, 5

    00185 Roma