La Sapienza - Università di Roma

logo de La Sapienza per la stampa


I would like to attend a PhD course, what do I have to do to enrol?

PhD courses candidates must take an admission examination. The call is published every year around mid-June and the exams must be taken by September. Download “Attachment A” for further information.

What documents do I have to submit with my application form?

Foreign students must submit extra documentation (as indicated by articles 4 and 5 of the call), while registration is considered complete for Italian citizens once the first instalment of tuition fees is paid.

How many programmes may I apply to?

There is no limit to the amount of applications that you can present, but you must pay the taxes separately for each application.

I am a foreign student and I would like to study for a PhD in Italy. What should I do?

There are two possibilities for foreign students:

1.     A call is usually published in March.

2.     Foreign students may also participate in the call that is published around mid-June either applying for the scholarship or as supernumerary students. The enrolment procedures for foreign students are described in articles 4 and 5 of the call.

When will the examinations for the programme I’m interested in be held?

Usually the dates of the exams are specified in the call and no further communication is given. If the exams dates aren’t specified in the call, applicants will receive a registered mail with the date 15 days before the first written test.

When is the deadline? I’ve heard it was November 30, but I have been awarded a PhD and I still haven’t heard from anyone.

There is no a fixed deadline to enrol in the first year. It depends on when the examination was held, on when the documents were delivered to the PhD Office and on our evaluation schedule. The deadline is fixed when the documents have been checked to verify the applications and the publication of the official results.

When the official results are published, we first send an email to the candidates who have obtained scholarships – to verify that all scholarships are accepted – and then to the winners without scholarships. Obviously, the deadlines for students with and without scholarships are different.

I have been awarded a PhD without a scholarship and in the enrolment invitation letter I am told to declare my ISEE before paying the first instalment. How do I calculate my ISEE? How much will I pay in taxes?

Bill 159/2013 introduced the new regulations for ISEE calculation for the right to university study and for PhD research.

For further information: ISEE

The 1st and 2nd tuition fee instalments may be reduced with an ISEE declaration.

I declared the wrong ISEE and I have already paid the first instalment. What should I do?

After the payment of the first instalment, you will still be able to change the sum due (between Nov. 15 and Dec. 30) on the Infostud system or at the Office of the Administrative Secretary by presenting a written application and attaching a copy of your ISEE declaration for university study rights (DSU) obtained from a CAF or from the INPS website.

What do I have to do at the end of the programme year?

At the end of every academic year, and once you have been admitted to the following year, you must pay the taxes – you can download the form from Infostud – or only the administrative expenses (for students with a scholarship and those who have been exempted). You have time to enrol without having to pay fines or late fees by Nov. 30. Students with scholarships who do not want scholarship payments to be interrupted should complete their enrolment by October 31.

Please note: students who do not have a scholarship, may obtain exemption of tuition fees for “study merits” starting from the second year. This type of exemption is granted together with the admission to the following year.

All PhD students (including scholarship holders and students with exemptions) must pay the €30 registration fee by Nov. 30. Late enrolment fees are doubled until Dec. 31

I am a PhD student without a scholarship. I’ve been told that I can obtain a tax exemption from the second year. Is it true?

students who do not have a scholarship, may obtain exemption of tuition fees for “study merits” starting from the second year. This type of exemption is granted together with the admission to the following year. However, all PhD students (including scholarship holders and students with exemptions) must pay the €30 registration fee by Nov. 30. Late enrolment fees are doubled until Dec. 31.

I am a PhD student with a scholarship and I have to go abroad for my research. Is an increase in the amount of the scholarship expected? What do I have to do to obtain it?

Before leaving you must apply for authorization from your coordinator on letterhead you’re your mission dates clearly indicated. If you are going to a country where health insurance isn’t covered, you must contact the insurance office to activate an insurance cover for your period abroad.

At the end of your stay, you must ask your host institute for a certificate specifying your period of work at said institution.

When you return to Italy, you should deliver the original documents to our office to obtain the scholarship increase (max. 50%) for every day of your stay abroad.

I need a certificate but I can’t come to the office. What should I do?

You can download the certificates with digital stamp directly from Infostud, even in English.

I am enrolled in a Sapienza PhD course and I want to ask for co-supervision of my thesis with a foreign University. What are the procedures I need to follow?

Official approval and four original forms signed by the PhD coordinator and by the Italian thesis supervisor (two in Italian and two in the language of the host institution) must be sent to the PhD Office as soon as they are available, for the Rector’s signature.

For further information: co-supervision

How can I obtain a “Doctor Europaeus” title on my PhD certificate?

For further information:  “Doctor Europaeus”

I have been awarded a scholarship for the call reserved to foreign students. Can I activate a co-supervision for my thesis with a University that isn’t Italian?

Students who have won a scholarship for the call reserved for foreign students who have graduated abroad, can activate a thesis co-supervision, but cannot benefit from the 50% scholarship increase for stays abroad.

I already have a PhD title; can I enrol in another programme?

Yes, but first you must pass the admission examination, as long as the scientific-disciplinary sectors are different from those of the first PhD.

Can I carry out assistance activities in a Hospital?

Assistance activity must be authorized. For authorization at the S. Andrea General Hospital, you must present a formal request to the Rector and submit acceptance letters to the PhD sector, to the programme coordinator, and to the Hospital Manager, as well as a CV and a medical certificate.

My PHD certificate was stolen. Can I get a duplicate?

In case of loss or theft, you may ask for a duplicate of your certificate by presenting a request with 16 tax stamp, attaching a copy of the filed police report and paying €70 to the office. 


  • Director
    Romina Caronna
    Gabriella Rusch
    Stefania Roffi
    Paola Grasso
    Maria Luisa Rocco
    Gabriella Barbera
    Maria Di Napoli
    Rita Tabolacci
    Pietro Gabrielli
    Angela Alessandrelli


  • Piazzale Aldo Moro 5 
    00185 Rome
    Office Hours
    8:30 - 12:00 am
    2:30 - 4.30 pm