La Sapienza - Università di Roma

logo de La Sapienza per la stampa

Residence Permit for Researchers

EU Citizens 

If you are an EU citizen staying in Italy for more than three months, you have to register to the Anagrafe cittadini temporaneamente presenti (Registry Office for Temporarily Present Citizens) at the Municipality Office. They will require specific documents to be submitted. We recommend you to contact them in advance in order to have a complete list of all the necessary documents. 

Non-EU Citizens

If you are a non-EU citizen, you are allowed to stay in Italy for less than 3 months and in this case you do not need to apply for a Residence Permit.  However, please note that: 

  • If you travel from a Schengen State, you must report your presence within 8 days after your arrival in Italy at the Questura (Police Head Quarter) by submitting the form Dichiarazione di presenza (Declaration of presence). 
  • If you travel from non-Schengen States, you should report your presence to the border authorities when entering Italy. A uniform Schengen stamp will be put on your Passport.
  • If you intend to stay in Italy for a period longer than three months, you must apply for a residence permit (Permesso di Soggiorno) within 8 working days from your arrival in Italy. 

How to apply:

  1. Collect the Residence Permit Kit at the post office (poste italiane) nearest to you. Complete the application form and attach photocopies of all the required documents, along with a tax revenue stamp (ask for a marca da bollo for the value of  €14.62 at any tobacco shop). 
  2. When sending your application you will have to pay € 27.50 (for the Residence Permit card), between €80-200  (for the Residence Permit), and an extra €30 (for the postal service).




  • Palazzo del Rettorato - CU001

    Piazzale Aldo Moro, 5

    00185 Roma